PREMISE FOR THIS PRIMER
I have been conducting an intense and extensive research project on how businesses are solving the facebook timelines for business page cover challenge. At first, I suppose, it was curiosity. It has now become a full-fledged obsession and an analysis that will result in statistical evidence.
For now, so that I do not scare away any of my readers, I decided to keep it VERY basic. Actually there is a second reason. I am finding that most small business owners are baffled and do not know how to solve facebook’s challenge. In fact, in my opinion, I think this change by facebook was quite unfair to the average business owner.
IMAGE CAPTION: The ‘Page Cover Mastery’ facebook timelines for business page cover © Alison Gilbert
THE DECK WAS STACKED
One need look no further than the page covers presented by corporate America BEFORE the March 30th ‘deadline. They are prize-winning examples of professional graphic, branding and social media savvy, obviously created by pros who had advance warning to do so.
On the other hand, as one peruses the miles and miles of small business attempts to fulfill these visual gymnastic, it is clear that the deck has been stacked against the small business owner who figures he has neither the finances nor the resources to have a pro solve this challenge. Fortunatley that is no longer the case.
IMAGE CAPTION: The page cover says it all, Coca Cola from the SocialMediaExaminer.com blog post cited in sources. © CocaCola
BALANCING THE SCORE
Someone has to set things straight and even the score. As in golf, players are given handicaps. Well, right now, I am instituting a handicap system for all the small business owners that I pray will read this, find substantial relief or get assistance.
Originally, I was going to write a ‘Really Simple Ten Point Guide for Business Pages’. I realized that for most business owners saddled with this challenge, that half that amount was more than enough to deal with to start. The only reasonable way to begin solving ‘the facebook timelines for business page cover challenge’ is to start at the beginning. Just a note before we begin, I wrote this blog post for all the small business owners whose pages I have come across. Most of them clearly need help from some to a great deal. Please let me know if you find this Primer helpful. Thank you.
Start solving ‘the facebook timelines for business page cover design challenge’ with these 5 points. When executed correctly, your page cover will look as good as the pros! (handicap not withstanding):
1. The profile picture, 180×180 pixel (facebook keeps changing the dimensions)
I suggest using one of three images depending on the type of business you have:
• your logo
• an image representing your products or services or one of your retail shop exterior if you do not have a logo
• your photo ONLY if you are a celebrity and your brand
• DO NOT take a ‘snippet’ or part of your ‘cover photo’ and just replicate it here
• I suggest keeping the small icon set once find the one that works for you.
2. The ‘cover photo’ that must measure 851 pixels across and a minimum of 315 pixels
Use an image that represents your brand, your product(s), your service(s) or evokes your mission, business passion. AVOID using any words on you page cover that could be interpreted as advertising or promotion for your business.
• Your company URL
• Calls to Action
• Notice of a sale, discount or coupon
• Any promotional language in any shape of form (feel like you need a marketing attorney yet?!)
• It is suggested to change your page cover image often. Sure you can, if you have the time, energy and resources!
IMAGE CAPTION: The URL is on the page cover @ SourlfulLiving.com
• The words you are tempted to put on the cover picture go in the About area.
• Your URL
3a. Here is an extra added piece of information
When you click on your ‘cover photo’, you will be taken to a comment page.
That is where you will see your ‘cover photo’ again and have the opportunity to comment on it and add:
• Calls to action
• Notices of a sale, a discount or a coupon
IMAGE CAPTION: Not much of an ‘About’ or much of anything to identify a company that could have such spectacular visual and verbal information. @ Cake Bakers Direct
4. Getting ‘LIKES’
This brings up a crucial question. Why do you need to get ‘LIKES’? It used to be that the more ‘LIKES’ you had, the
to know people, other business owners, etc. conversing with them, and forming relationships that involve regular
communication.The irony about this game changer involving the new rules for ‘LIKES’ is that comments and conversations will, in the long run, result in more chances to generate sales leads and make trust relationships that can result in business. In conclusion, you only need a total of 30 ‘LIKES’. So once you have them, focus elsewhere on building your reach.
• You need 25 ‘LIKES’ to get your personal page name (a custom URL without all those annoying numbers
• You need 5 more ‘LIKES’ to access your insights. I still am not sure how to read them but they look cool.
IMAGE CAPTION: Notice the box where ‘LIKES’ are displayed. © Matriarch INC
One of the most unfortunate and problematic aspects of facebook is that all pages are not equal. In fact, if you are seeking friends, you do not even have a ‘page’. You have a ‘personal profile’. Everyone signs up to facebook, or is supposed to, with their real name. This is to establish a ‘personal profile’. This is where you make friends and connect with your existing friends. Each person can only have one ‘personal profile’.
On the other hand, there is no restriction on the number of business pages, group pages, community pages, nonprofit pages, etc. one can have. But here in lies the problem. There was a time when one had to use a ‘personal profile’ for business because the other option was a ‘fan page’. You had to be a public figure, a star, to have a fan page’.
Now all business is supposed to be done on these ‘fan pages’. But they are no longer called ‘fan pages’. They have become ‘LIKE’ pages and even business pages. There is a chance that facebook is going to stop allowing people to use their ‘personal profiles’ for business. You would not believe how many people are using them as such. If this were to happen, these non-pages could be eliminated. That could be disastrous. I would like to end on a positive note. So here it is. There is hope for the small business owner in solving this ‘facebook timelines for business page cover challenge’. What I say on my Page Cover Mastery facebook page is, “You can do it. We can help”
IMAGE CAPTION: I love cherries and I love the ChooseCherries timelines for business page cover. © ChooseCherries
- Page Cover Mastery Alison Gilbert’s Facebook page on Facebook timeline pages.
- Mari Smith’s Facebook Webinar, ‘Ten Essential Money-Making Facebook ‘Techie’ Tips
- DBMEi Blog Post of April 14, 2012, The Facebook Page Cover Challenge (by Alison Gilbert
- Five Ways to Enhance Your Facebook Timeline Page With Images (Social Media Examiner.com)
- Facebook May Remove Your Business Page.
- Posted in: Art & Design ♦ Digital Technology ♦ Marketing & Branding ♦ Social Media ♦ branding ♦ comments ♦ conversation ♦ engagement ♦ facebook ♦ facebook page ♦ facebook page covers ♦ facebook timelines for business ♦ likes ♦ logo ♦ page cover ♦ page cover mastery ♦ Small Business Owners ♦ The Facebook Timelines for Business Page Cover Primer